Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Thursday, January 05, 2006

My Thermostat, My Enemy


I'm not a cold-natured person. I have nice coats that I never wear, even on the coldest of days. I have nice sweaters that I never wear. My house is not toasty- I hate what gas heat does to my skin and my sinuses.

That being said, I received my gas bill today and almost cried: $368. No past due balance included-- just 30 days worth of gas! My house is drafty, my furnace is a dinasaur, but oh my God!!!! The gas company checked my house for leaks a few months ago and found none. I guess I could call customer service and talk to Janice again, but what good would that do? She'd probably suggest I hire another independent contrator to build me an igloo, or invest in parkas and long johns.

I think I could find better use of this money. A 30 day supply of gas equals:

  • 122.66 bottles of beer at the Corner Tavern
  • 52.58 pitchers of beer at Flashback
  • 1 car payment
  • 1/2 mortgage payment
  • 1 months Cell Phone/Satellite TV/ DSL/Power/Water/Sewage/Car Insurance
  • 1 year supply of dog food for 4 dogs
  • 168 gallons of gas
  • 36 visits to the movies, including popcorn and coke
  • a round trip ticket to about anywhere in the USA, Mexico or Canada
  • 994 first class postage stamps

Oh well, it's just money but look at how much fun I could've had. Now I'm motivated to just turn the thermostat off and spend the next month at the Corner Tavern. I'd actually save money by not staying home.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would it help to tell you my gas bill was almost that high this past month? I know mine is from leaving the door open to allow the cats and dog to come and go at will but, by doing that, I not only have the gas bill but I also have to clean up the mess that Cletus makes by bringing in sticks, larger hunks of wood, pine cones, etc. Woe is us!!!

7:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home