Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Art Deco Pics

I went to a "party" one time-- I thought it was a party, but it turned out to be one of those parties where everyone is expected to buy something. At the time, I went to the party with Steve- we were in hopes of finding a free drink or free food. Anyway, at the party, this lady showed us all of her art and asked which one we wanted to purchase. We walked away and said good bye to everyone. I did have my eye on a couple of paintings, but they were too expensive for me.
Fast forward a few months to Christmas morning. I opened the Christmas present from Steve and it was the two paintings that I had eyed at the "party". I loved them, back then. A few years later, Steve was gone from my life and the paintings were hard to look at. I gave them to my sister-in-law, because she was into the art-deco thing at the time, and I wasn't.
Anyway, here we are about 20 years later and I just received these paintings back. After my brother divorced his wife, he got my paintings back as part of the settlement. I got them back from him yesterday and I hung them on my new red sunroom wall. I'm still not a fan of art-deco, but they seem to match the room and they have lots of sentimental value, so I'll let them stay for a while.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might wish to go to http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/art-deco.html for information and perhaps a better understanding of the art deco movement of the 20's & 30's. It didn't just become "trendy" in the 80's and, in fact, has been an established art movement since that time. Just thought you'd like to know.

6:53 AM

 
Blogger Brian said...

I kind of explained to Beverly last night, but I'll fill the rest of you in on my dislike of most art deco. In the 80's I had an apartment that I hated-- it was over my dad's garage- 1 bedroom, 1 bath and the ceiling was sloped so much that anyone over 5' tall couldn't walk through it without scraping their head on the ceiling. I hated the apartment. I wouldn't have stayed if I had had a choice, but my father was sick and close to dying so I had to stay there to help take care of him. I tried to dress the place up-- I bought black bed sheets and covered the walls with them- they were pleated and stapled up nicely! On the sheets I hung the art deco posters that I found at a yard sale. I thought it looked very dramatic and theatrical. I had some of the worst times in my life in that apartment- I had a very abusive boyfriend living there at the time. When I think of those days, I don't think of Dennis or Dad very much- I remember those stupid art deco posters that were stapled around the apartment. To me, art deco became less of a style, and more like pretentious art that one would display to make people think that they were stylish because that's what I did back then. It doesn't make sense to anyone else, probably. It's just a period of my life that I don't really like to remember, and most art deco takes me back to that time.

I'm sorry, Beverly, if you felt that this post on my blog was an attack on you (Beverly has a few pieces of art deco in her house). It wasn't in reference to you at all, it was reflections on getting these paintings back and trying to decide wether or not I would be comfortable looking at them every day.

7:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home