Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Whatever Happened to Sleep?



I promised myself that I'd be in bed by 7pm tonight. It's now 7:45pm, and the Tylenol PM hasn't kicked in yet. I'm tired. I should be tired. The alarm went off at 3:30 this morning, and I was Atlanta-bound a half hour later. I worked a good 10 hours before heading back to East Point.

My alarm is set for 2:00am! I have to be at work by 2:30am-- I'm catering the VIP tent at the ING Marathon tomorrow. It's going to be strange being in the restaurant that early- I'll be the only one there. I have to prepare enough food for 200 people, on my own. The opening staff will arrive a half hour before I pull out at 5:30am.

This will be an interesting catering job. I am co-catering with one of our other restaraunt chains for the first time. I'm doing the breakfast and they are doing the lunch. Unfortunately, their idea of catering is "drop and run", while mine is to do whatever the client asks, including staying around to serve the food and cleaning up til 2:00pm. It's ok. This will be good for me. This customer, this catering job- it could be the turning point in my career... there is so much at stake now. I won't go into all of the details, but the Reader's Digest version is that this customer got caught up in a loop trying to place this order with the "other" restaurants that are members of my parent company. She tried for weeks to place this order and was told "no" at every turn. Finally she got in touch with me and I took on the project. She was so happy that she wrote a letter to my parent company, telling them of her troubles and how I saved the day. I wrote my own letter telling them what was wrong with the system and how it needs to be fixed. The result was that they called me in for a meeting on Monday- I get to tell the company how to fix their problem. I get to prove to them that I am doing the job that I was turned down for a few months ago. Maybe they'll offer me that job after all... Maybe they'll figure out that I'm already doing it and won't offer to give me the promotion. Time will tell.

Speaking of time- it's almost 8:00pm. I have to get up in 6 hours and pass the audition of my life. Keep your fingers crossed for me- I'll keep you posted!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the Monday meeting!!!

Jim

10:25 AM

 
Blogger Brian said...

Thanks, Jim!

Any plans to visit us again soon? It'd be great to see you again!

7:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home