Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Voice From the Past


I got a call from my old friend Chip today. Chip and I met in the Summer of '84. We were both attending orientation at UGA. From the minute we met, we became like brothers. After college, we became roommates. He worked at Upton's as a shoe salesman, and he got me a job there, too. We enjoyed partying a lot, and you could find us in the Atlanta hot spots pretty much every weekend. I was with him the night that he met his wife, Melanie. We became the Three Musketeers and did everything together. Chip and Melanie got married in May of 1989-- and I was the Best Man! A couple of years later, they moved to Knoxville. I visited them once, and they came back for a visit once or twice. Other than a few emails between Melanie and myself, we pretty much lost touch.


Chip heard through the grapevine that I had gotten married and called to congratulate me. He also reported the sad news that he and Melanie are in the process of getting a divorce. I was sorry to hear it, but not too surprised~~ they separated a few years ago, and then reconciled. Their marriage has been a rocky one, but it lasted almost 20 years.


Anyway, it was good to hear from him today, and we both promised to be better at keeping in touch. Hopefully I'll see him soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home