Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Unbelievable...


As you probably know, I got married last month in Los Angeles. We knew that the whole gay marriage thing was "iffy" with the Proposition 8 ban on gay marriage looming in the near future, but we had no idea what was to come. We were told by many official sources that if we were married before November 4th, our marriage would remain recognized by the state of California, no matter the outcome of the vote.


We didn't rush to California to get married before the deadline. There was actually no rush at all in planning this ceremony. We have been talking about it for months, and had decided to go to Vancouver to get married. When California overturned the gay marriage ban over the Summer, we changed our plans. Although Michael would have preferred to get married in Vancouver, I argued that if I couldn't get legally married in GA I would prefer to get married at least in the United States. I got my way, and the plan was changed.


Now it turns out that the majority of the folks in California are against gay marriage, and they voted to ban it. No one seems to know the status of the couples that were married prior to November 4th. Are we still married? Was our marriage dissolved? I've been searching frantically online for the past two days for the answers to my questions. The answers don't seem to exist, or have not been released to the public yet.


There were protests and riots in LA last night-- I would have been right there with them if I could have been. This is ridiculous. We are having our wedding reception this weekend-- without even knowing if we are married or not. I figure as long as I have a notarized certificate of marriage and a ring on my finger-- well, I am married. It would be nice to have the marriage recognized by some official capacity, though.


Still waiting. Damnit!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Until all appeals are exhausted, I think it would be appropriate to consider yourself married.

4:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what happens when you vote republican and support the same group that thinks you are a second class citizen. When will the log cabin republicans wake up!

6:01 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

In my defense... the Episcopal church thinks of me as a 2nd class citizen too, but it doesn't stop me from worshipping there.

Suprisingly, there are more important issues in my life than my sexuality.

7:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so why support a religion, or any group that thinks you are not equal to any of them. God thinks you are equal in his eyes anyway. just don't understand how you support any group that does NOTHING to support you and your real beliefs

9:40 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

I know-- it doesn't seem to make sense. As for the church-- well,I have to reach a little higher and know that God thinks I am worthy and deserving of more. Sometimes you have to look more to your destination than at the obstacles.

9:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is this moron with whom you stoop to have a conversation? You have your own life to live...and as you are a grown man...you do not have to defend your choices. As long as you are happy who cares what the rest of the world thinks. As I remember, love is its own country that the world invades.

11:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home