Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Friday, October 03, 2008

Blast From the Past


Delia & I taught a cooking class last night in Alpharetta. I was so shocked when the first students came in, and I knew them! Pamela & Mark Sloan were sitting on the first row!!! Pam and I worked together side by side as managers of Rosenbluth Travel. It was great to see her again and catch up.


It's funny how the people from that office were so close for so long. It was one of the most stressful jobs I've ever had, but I stayed because I loved the people with whom I worked. We were a family. And what's amazing is that when the office closed, we all pretty much disappeared from each other's lives. It was a different world back then-- they closed our office on 9/15/01-- just four days after the biggest attack ever on America. Everyone was numb. Add into the equation that there were about 100 of us all looking for travel agent jobs in a time where there was absolutely zero demand for travel agents since everyone was afraid to travel. Some of us found jobs and worked together again, but for the most part we totally lost the friendships that we shared, and the family feeling.


I run into some of the old gang from time to time-- usually at the most unexpected places. I remember a couple of years ago when I ran into Joy Miller at a Crawford Long OBGYN office (I wasn't a patient, I was delivering breakfast). Once in a while, a familiar Rosenbluth face will pop up at the East Point Corner Tavern, at the Inman Park Festival, Dogwood, Pride, etc. We always say how great it is to see each other and swear that we need to get together again soon. We talk about planning a reunion, but it never happens. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with these random encounters. Or maybe I'll take the ball and run with it. Maybe we will have a Rosenbluth Family Reunion one of these days-- we'll see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home