Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

They're Everywhere, They're Everywhere...

I was sitting at my desk this afternoon, trying to catch up on a little work. Through the window I noticed two ladies walking past the house. I didn't think much about it. I barely noticed it when they walked past a few minutes later. By the fourth or fifth time that they passed, I was beginning to wonder what they were up to. But-- I got busy with other things and forgot all about them. A few hours later, I had to run to the grocery store to buy some supplies for a catering job. When I got to the stop sign, the two ladies were standing there. They ran to my car and bombarded me with questions about my car-- what is the Biscuit? Are you hiring? Do they pay you to drive around in that car? Even though they both seemed to be pretty intoxicated, I answered their questions like the good PR man that I am. I put them out of my mind and went about my day.

Well, a couple of hours later I was out in the garden finishing off on planting the 200 tulip bulbs. I saw sitting on the patio planting when I heard their voices somewhere behind me:

"The Biscuit man is home".. I heard one of them say.
"I'm gonna go ring his doorbell and run", said the other.
"Don't bother that man, he's gonna think we're stalkers-- he'll never hire us".
"Yes he will. I'm gonna pick some of his flowers, too. After I ring his doorbell and run".

I'm hearing all of this crazy talk and it suddenly dawned on me that they didn't see me sitting there. The toothless one ran right past me, up my stairs and to the doorbell. She rang it and then ran right back up the walkway laughing and spilling her drink. In a loud voice I announced "I'm right here!"

I shouldn't have said anything, because they proceeded to join me and learn all about planting tulip bulbs. They asked questions about the restaurant, they discussed the healthy dishes that they like to prepare, they drank their drinks and even offered me a shot of their bourbon. I learned that they had a full afternoon of going to the liquor store, buying bourbon and drinking it as they made the walk around the block. They had already finished off several bottles. Each time they passed the liquor store, they stopped in, got another bottle and made the loop around the block again.

I finally got rid of them, but a little while later the toothless one returned and told me that she didn't like my Hibiscus plants and she didn't think that they would go well with the tulips. She told me that she was a decorator and that she knows these things. She also didn't like my flower pots, my mums or the idea of growing irises. She told me that she didn't have any training in decorating; it's just a gift.

I hate that Michael missed this interesting afternoon, but he'll have a chance to meet them this weekend-- they plan to stop by with their "old men"~~ they want to sit on the patio with us and plan a neighborhood potluck dinner. They said that they would bring the wine.

One thing I can say about this street--- it's never boring!

2 Comments:

Blogger epgraves said...

Oh man! That is why I hide in the house. Unfortunately, I get my share at the society. I have learned to lock the door.

11:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am quite sure you do not want me to meet them. I have had enough of toothless old people this week. My feet hurt.
Pod

12:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home