Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Glimpses of Halloween's Past




This picture was taken in 1968, I was about to turn 3 and it was my first time to go trick-or-treating. Mom was in the hospital awaiting the birth of my little brother. I assume that Dad was with her, so now I'm wondering who took this picture, and who it was that took me trick-or-treating for the first time? It must've been my grandparents.


Speaking of grandparents, here's a picture of my grandmother (Mommo). She got into Halloween, too! I remember one year that Halloween fell on a Wednesday. We went to our grandparent's house to show them our costumes, and hopefully get a sackfull of candy! Since it was Wednesady night, they had gone to church. Next to the front door, there was a big bowl full of half dollars with a note that read "We're sorry we missed you. Please take one. Happy Halloween!". Believe it or not, all of the kids followed directions and took just one half dollar. These days, that bowl would be empty after the first visitor.


Sometime in the mid 1980's, I decided that I wanted to host a Halloween Party. I held it in my backyard and it was a hit! I converted the garden into a graveyard-- there were headstones, and maniquen (sp?) body parts coming out of the graves! I even had a big iron cauldron with water and dry ice in it- producing an eerie fog-like mist that covered the back yard. There were strobe lights and pumpkins everywhere! My Halloween party became THE Halloween party for the next few years! Friends would travel from as far away as Philadelphia to attend my party. It got bigger and bigger each year, and the decorations got more and more elaborate! This picture was taken at the 1st party, with my friend Cynthia (from Bowling Green, Kentucky).
I had a few more pictures from Halloweens gone by, Blogger is having a scheduled outage at the moment so I can't upload anything. I think I'll go ahead and close out and save this one so I don't have to start over!

...to be continued

7 Comments:

Blogger epgraves said...

OH MAA GAHHH! You were a Rabbit for your first halloween in 1968? I WAS A RABBIT FOR MY FIRST TIME TRICK OR TREATING IN 1968!!!

I will see if I can find the pic and and post it on my blog.

8:19 PM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

OK, I got it up. Was 1966, not 68 like I had said.

8:49 PM

 
Blogger Theresa said...

You all have forced me to look for my 1st Halloween pic - and yes, I too was a rabbit. Damn, I was cute!

11:01 AM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:17 AM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

Cool,we are a "1960's" Rabbit Club!" The Wabbit Blog Network!

11:19 AM

 
Blogger =^..^= Kitty =^..^= said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:04 AM

 
Blogger =^..^= Kitty =^..^= said...

Darn it! The comment I deleted was typed with my fingers on the wrong keys!!! Anyway, CUTE bunny-boy!!! I remember always being a cowgirl with six-shooters that used "caps." I shot up the whole town!!!

BTW, I have created a new blog - "The Paws that Refreshes." Check it out and link to yours if you like.

10:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home