Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Brush with Danger

It was a typical Sunday morning at the Biscuit. I was the first to arrive at 4:30am. I was unlocking the walk-in coolers and turning on the lights in the building. When I got to the dining room, I saw where someone had broken into the restaurant during the night. The thief entered the restaurant from the patio door. Actually, he made a ladder out of a storage cabinet and chair, broke out the window above the door, crawled through the broken window and got free access to the building. He didn't take much-- mostly wine. He got into the wine cooler and emptied it out, before exiting through the patio door. I'm still curious of why the guy felt he needed to make a ladder to get into the top window over the door... why not just break out the glass in the door and reach in and unlock the door? Why would anyone want to climb up into a top window, break through glass that's a lot thicker, and then have to hop down 10'?

We have video monitors throughout the building, and we actually got some pretty good shots of the guy. The scary part was that the break-in occurred at 4:18am. On the video, you can see the guy leaving out the backdoor about two minutes before you see me entering through the front door. He had a laundry bag full of wine in one hand, and a knife in the other hand. I'm just glad that I didn't arrive a few minutes earlier. I hate to think what would've happened if I'd caught the guy in the act.



I'm taking many sighs of relief, and saying a few prayers of thanks today! (Sorry the pictures aren't better-- I was using my cell phone camera, and it isn't the greatest quality.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all about timing, isn't it?

Jim

10:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But the real question is -- did the food get delivered on time?? (smile)

10:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Didn't the alarm go off or anything? Glad you didn't meet the guy face to face.

12:08 PM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

EEEEgahhhhhuuuuggggggh eeekkk!
The video showing him leaving and then you walking in right after is just way too scary!

12:30 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

I am just glad you are fine. You scared me this morning whaen you told me.
Mic

2:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home