Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Taize




Tonight I attended the Taize service at St. John's Episcopal in College Park. Taize (pronounced Ta-zay) is a candlelit service- a meditative, quiet service accompanied by long moments of silence, puncutated by repetative chants/hymns accompanied by an accoustic band. It was a moving experience.



There were hundreds of candles illuminating the darkened church- candlelight reflected beautifully off of the stained glassed windows . It was a time to look outward and inward. A time to contemplate the past, present and future. A time to give thanks for the gifts in my life. A lot can take place in your mind when you're silent. A lot can be learned without hearing any other voice but your own.




"In every person lies a zone of solitude that no human intimacy can fill."

2 Comments:

Blogger =^..^= Kitty =^..^= said...

My first comment wasn't really what I wanted to say, so I deleted it. This is what I wanted to say: Before leaving my house, I told myself that Taize was probably going to be one of "those" religious things I'd not want to do again. Wrong...it was one of the most meaningful services I've ever attended.

8:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My church (in Boston, MA) tried to have a Taize service. It was incredible, but the attendance was so low that they never tried it again. I can't find any other churches nearby that offer a Taize. I might need to visit Atlanta soon to get my fix!

8:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home