Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Monday, October 30, 2006

Accident Prone


I've never really thought of myself as clumsy, or accident-prone, but it's beginning to be obvious to myself and others. My catering jobs always end with one or two injuries, and it's getting hard to hide. For example, last weekend I catered a wedding. Before the guest had even departed the chapel enroute to the reception hall, I was wearing at least 4 band-aids on my fingers, and a couple of pairs of rubber gloves to hide the band-aids! Those plastic platter domes can be deadly! This morning, at 5am, I was in the prep kitchen slicing bagels... I should've known better. Besides slicing bagels, I sliced a good hunk of flesh out of my hand. It happens every time I get a bagel tray order! A couple of hours later, I was at Gideon's Elementary school, loading up the van after delivering a HUGE order. I took a step backwards and tripped over my handcart. I fell down hard against the pavement, leaving me with a big knot on the head, a sprained wrist and a skinned knee. The kids were nice though-- instead of pointing and laughing, a couple of them even helped me back to my feet and asked if I was ok. The real topper occurred during the boxing up of a lunch order, a couple of hours later. I placed a large cardboard box in the prep kitchen and started putting the individual boxed lunches into it. While I was leaned over, loading the box, Juan pulled a metal tray full of potatoes out of the oven and placed it on the prep table beside me. Don't ask me how it happened- I couldn't recreate it if I tried! I started to stand back up and the left side of my face came in full contact with the hot tray. I ended up with a perfectly rectangular burn mark that reached from my forehead down to my jaw. Maribel and Ana spent the rest of the day putting aloe lotion on my face each hour, and it seems to have helped. Hopefully it won't scab up, or scar. And hopefully I can get through the rest of the week without any more serious injuries!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read my lips!!! You're supposed to be the Operations Manager -- not somebody who requires an operation!!! I'm actually sorry to hear about your disasterous last several days. Wait until you hear about mine!!!

7:20 PM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

Get some of those stainless steel gloves for kitchen work. I use to use them when working with a slicer. Stops a knife nicely.

7:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take care.............Jim

8:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home