Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Rosenbluth and Rosebud


Working the booth at Candler Park's Fallfest wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. I've dreaded this weekend for the past several months, but it turned out to be fun. I got to see a lot of our regular customers and talk to them for a change. I ran into a couple of former co-workers.. one of them was Leslie (pictured here). I worked with her at Rosenbluth International, side by side for 5 years. When the office closed on 9/15/01, I lost touch with Leslie. But she was at the festival yesterday with her husband, daughter and 9 year old grandson (I remember when he was born!). It's funny how often I run into former friends from Rosenbluth. We were such a tight bunch back then; it's amazing how we've all lost touch with each other, but still pop into each other's lives unexpectantly from time to time.
I also saw another coworker today from my Carlson Wagonlit days, Debir. We weren't the best of friends back then, but we did get along and liked each other. She told me that she's still in touch with our mutual friend Amy and that Amy gave birth to twins last week! She wasn't even dating the last time I saw her! Cool, now I gotta try to find Amy so I can congratulate her!
I can't tell you how many kids stopped by the booth this weekend to say hi to "Mr. Brian". I give tours of the Biscuit to all of the kindergarten kids at Mary Lin Elementary School every year. I show them around the restaurant and take them to the prep kitchen where we mix up a batch of dough for them and they get to cut their own biscuits. Then we bake them off and they get to take them home with them. I've just completed my 3rd year of tours, so I've worked with about 300 kids over the years, and they usually remember me and call me by name when they see me. It's a cool feeling- I've become a semi-icon in their little minds! Kind of like when I was a kid, we used to take fields trips to Mathis Dairy and we got to milk Rosebud. Photobucket - Video and Image HostingIf you were ever a kid in DeKalb County public schools in the 70's, you probably milked Rosebud and you never forgot it. I've become the new Rosebud, at least in Candler Park!
Overall it was a tiring, but enjoyable weekend. I'm glad the we participated and I learned a lot about how to run a festival booth. I didn't double yesterday's sales as I had hoped, but I did top them. At least that's a little progress! It was great to see so many old and new friends- I even saw Beverly there- she stopped by the festival after church. Yes, I was shocked too-- Beverly attended church today! I can't wait to hear the story behind that one. I'm sure she'll fill us all in on her Blog tomorrow

8 Comments:

Blogger epgraves said...

Hey, I went to Fulton Schools and went on field trips to Mathis and got to milk Rosebud! I remember getting a button that said "I milked Rosebud." Don't have it anymore.

On Beverly attending church... If she gets religion and start acting like Aunt Ester, dancing around with a bible in the air and calling me a "Fish eyed fool" then I'm leaving town...

9:32 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

I was able to find a pic of the "I Milked Rosebud" button and added it to the blog. Brings back good memories, huh?.

Wow, I didn't realize that the Fulton kids got to milk her, too!

9:56 PM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

Oh yeah dude! Milking Rosebud was a local big deal like the "Big Chicken and the Varsity."

I am willing to bet that you remember and likely went to "The Wonderful World of Sid and Marty Croft at the Omni Plaza. Or the Okeefenokee Swamp ride at Six Flags.

I remember field trips to not only Mathis Daries but Six Flags, Fernbank, the Alliance Theatre and High Museum long before it was in the new building.

Then the 3 big trips via Mom each year to the Omni for the Circus, The Globe Trotters and the Arabian Horses.

11:58 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

I only got to visit Sid & Marty Kroft once. I think it closed pretty quickly- within a year or two, maybe?

Most of our field trips were to Fernbank. We seemed to take at least 1 trip there each quarter. I'd love to go back there and see what it's like today- they have an Imax theater and serve martinis on Friday nights!

Your school took you to Six Flags? That rocks!!!

The Alliance theatre, the High and the Center for Puppetry Arts were high on our list, too.

Oh yeah, how about the Coca Cola bottling plant? Did you get to visit it? I remember at the end of the tour they gave out key chains with miniature coke bottles on them.

Wow, we could do entire Blogs on field trips!

6:48 PM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

I am pretty sure that we didn't go to the Coke bottle plant but I did have a key chain (Gold bottle on a chain) If we did it has totally escaped my memory.

I was in some smaller classes for my "Behavior problems" I had the nasty habit of taking care of bullies or anyone who got in my face by squaring them in the nose. So we did Six Flags once and I remember going to play Putt-Putt.

Puppetry Arts here as well but I can't recall where that was located.

OHHH! OHHH! OHHHHH!
DO YOU REMEMBER THE "UNCLE SMILEY" Films?

5:53 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

I don't remember Uncle Smiley- maybe he's hidden in the recesses of my mind. Can you remind me what the Uncle Smiley Films were about- I might be able to remember them.

Did you ever go to the "Wren's Nest"?

8:59 PM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

Yep, went to the Wren's Nest, but not on a field trip, my Mom took me.

Uncle Smiley was a series of short films shown on school projectors. Uncle Smiley goes to the river, goes camping, goes recycling... all environmental lessons where uncle smiley would always do something contrary to the cause and the kids would remind him not to do it. Things like washing his clothes in the river with toxic detergents. He would always do silly stooge like stuff. Big fat dude with a rainbow shirt, beard and suspenders. I loved it when they showed those movies at school.

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

Uncle Smiley sounds a lot like Michael Moore! ;)

5:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home