Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Saturday, October 14, 2006

A la Casa de me Amigo!



When I pulled into my driveway tonight, I noticed that the neighbor's house was lighted up more than usual. I went into my backyard to feed the pups and glanced over at the well-lighted house. I noticed that their backyard was equally illuminated. I also noticed the multi-colored streamers that were attached to the house and flowed freely up into the branches of the tall oak tree. It hit me-- this is the night of the Fiesta! It occurs once a year for the past 7 years. I don't know what the occassion is- sometimes it takes place on weeknights, sometimes on weekends, but always on October 14th. It's always a big outdoor party, hosted by my neighbor in his backyard.


The mariachi band started at 8pm. The salsa band started at 9pm. It's now 10pm and the trumpets and bugles are blaring. And the crowd is singing along at the top of their lungs. Kids are running in the streets. I'm sure there is a pinata hanging from the oak tree, and possibly a pig being roasted in a nearby pit. If I remember correctly, this fiesta goes on till the wee hours of the morning-- it'll be 3 or 4 am before the trumpets are silent. The bands usually stop around 2am and I get a little relief. Soon after, the fireworks start. Followed by shotguns. They shoot towards the moon as if they could actually hit it. There is no chance that they could ever hit the moon with a shotgun shell, but they have a grand time giving it a try. I think they pass the shotgun around and everyone gets a shot at the moon.

Imagine trying to sleep nearby to the sounds of trumpets, bugles, singing, fireworks and gun fire. I've witnessed this party for years- I've never complained, but how I want to. It usually happens on nights that I plan on going to bed early- always on the eve of a big day for me. I worked 12 hours today, and I'll work 12 hours tomorrow. Will I get any sleep tonight? Probably very little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home