Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Pond Closed Due to Maintenance...

The pond has been looking pretty bad lately. I think it's a combination of a cheap filter system, too many fish and overfeeding. The cheap filter system couldn't keep up with the amount of waste in the water, so it shut down Friday morning. I took the system apart and cleaned it, but it still didn't work. Today I went to Lowe's and bought a heavy duty filter system. Before installing it, I emptied most of the water from the pond-- it was a nasty job! The water was dark, dark green-- almost black! I refilled the pond with fresh water and added the chlorine remover, before installing the new filter system. It still looks pretty nasty, but hopefully it'll clear up after the water is all cycled through the filter in a few hours. My new plan is to remove a couple of buckets of water each day and replace it with clean water. Hopefully I'll keep ahead of the overpopulation problem by supplying fresh water daily. I'm not complaining about having so many fish- I love seeing the pond full. I just need to do a better job at maintaining the quality of the water.

1 Comments:

Blogger epgraves said...

Partial changes will help but a vaccum to remove waste with the water is the best in a partial change, with fish tank partial changes anyway. I don't know about ponds.

You are removing water but noot waste and un eatten food and the filter likely isn't doing it all.

Your good bacteria should be at a good level by now I would think.

3:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home