Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Other Side of Brian

I'm normally a well-mannered, nice and sweet Southern guy. I go to church every Sunday; I pray several times a day. I do my best to understand where people are coming from and try to empathize with them. But... I've learned that there's another side to me. It only comes out in certain situations, but I know it's always lurking, just beneath my skin. Y'all wouldn't recognize me this week. I've gotten in more than one confrontation with the nursing staff at my Mom's hospital. I don't mean to do it, but it happens. When we buzz the nurse for help and they don't respond for over an hour, I get mad. When this happens, I go to the Head Nurse and complain. It doesn't do any good, and nothing changes, but I feel better for being able to express my feelings. It's gotten to the point that the nurses always ask my Mom if her son will be visiting each day. One of them told Mom that she was written up due to my complaints. Good! I can't say that I dislike this alternate persona; I know that I'm right. I just want people to do their jobs.

3 Comments:

Blogger epgraves said...

How inapropriate for that nurse to tell your mom that she was written up. She should be written up for that one!

Don't worry about your attitude, I have been through the same thing and they should be doing their job right in the first place rather than worrying about if you will be visiting or not. If the were doing it right then they would have never have had to have delt with you.

As for making this into a conflict with your christianity, DON'T because you are doing what the big guy wants you to do ..."HONOR THEY FATHER AND MOTHER." That means fight for them as well as the other meanings!

10:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny that because I guess I'm just the opposite -- aggressive in the "real" world and meek as a lamb in the hospital. Having spent 11 days in a hell-hole called ICU, I almost never called for help (that I remember) and pretty much "suffered silently". I honestly don't know which approach is better altho' I guess nurses have become so bogged down with paperwork, they forget there are patients to care for. Sad state of affairs!!!

7:46 AM

 
Blogger =^..^= Kitty =^..^= said...

Being a Christian does not mean you have to be a doormat.

I recommend you write a letter to the hospital administrator and make your dissatisfaction known. There is no reason for a patient to wait over an hour for ANYTHING.

12:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home