Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Sunday, June 11, 2006

RIP: Jon Marc

I attended the funeral of Jon Marc Rutherford yesterday. He was the organist and choirmaster of my church, St. John's Episcopal. He was a young man, about 3 weeks shy of his 41st birthday. My age.
It's amazing to me how many lives Jon Marc touched while he was with us. The church was filled to the gills yesterday. They anticipated a large crowd, so they set up a video feed in the basement so that those that couldn't get seats in the chapel would be able to view it from the lower level. The lower level was filled. There were 347 people in attendance and the service was very touching. The preacher told a few jokes, and we all laughed through many tears. Jon Marc was a very funny man and the laughter seemed appropriate.
Jon Marc loved music. He taught music at Emory University and Woodward Academy. At the service, 85 of his former students formed a choir and sang "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" (acapella). It was beautiful, and very moving.
After the service, Jon Marc's ashes were interred in the Memorial Garden at St. John's. It's not easy to watch a mother bury a son, a brother bury a brother, a partner bury the love of his life. It tears at your very being. It's at that moment that it becomes real.
Rest in Peace, Jon Marc. I only got to know you for 6 months. I feel cheated. I'm sure that you are making beautiful music up above right now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

I was stunned to learn of Jon Marc's death. He was one of my colleagues - to call him "a very gifted musician" is an understatement. One of my voice students had planned on studying composing with him this summer, but hadn't yet called him about it. Please give me a contact name to send my condolences to his family and partner.

Sincerely,
Sindhanna@yahoo.com

8:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

Hi. I'm Amy - Jon Marc's baby sister. Thanks for the touching words you said about Jon Marc. A friend of mine just sent this to me. I'm not sure how many people know, but there is a website to post stories and such about Jon Marc. rememberingjonmarc.com
I miss him terribly!
Thanks,
Amy
aslushy@yahoo.com

12:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words about JMR. He and I were students together in college. A brilliant light has gone out in his passing and the world is a duller place. Once in 1984 he drove with me into the back country of rural Alabama and we brought back an ancient refrigerator we found at a trade school. I never met a more kind talented intellegent and funny person.

Thomas Head
jacksonheaddoc@gmail.com

10:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home