Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

What a Surprise!

I'm going through the refinance process. The last time I refinanced was in 2001, and at the time I had really good credit. Since then, I've gone through 2 layoffs and at times I didn't pay my bills in a timely manner. I figured that my credit rating would be in the dumps because of this, so I never attempted to apply for credit anywhere. I was scared to see my credit report- I guess it's the Scarlett O'Hara point of view- if I don't see it, it's not real. Well, reality slapped me in the face today. I was approved for the loan, even though my suspicions were correct- my credit rating sucks! But, the good news is that all of the companies that are showing bad scores stem from an identity theft that happened in 2000.


In 2000, someone that I don't know had checks printed with my name and a former address. The checks were drawn on a First Union bank account. I've never had any dealings with First Union, and the address on the checks was at least 2 years old. Over 50 checks were written on this fradulant account, and it took me months to straighten it out. I received a notorized letter from First Union, stating that the checks in question were not mine and that I did not have an account with First Union. I also got a notorized affadavit from the bank to back up the letter. I went to the police to file a report, but they wouldn't file one since nothing was actually stolen from me. Anyway, most of it was cleared up, except for three companies that went as far as tracing me down and putting the bad credit ratings on my credit report. Luckily, I keep my paperwork and I read through it all today- I have copies of the checks- not my handwritting. The checks have a driver's license number written on them- not mine. One of them even has a social security number written on it that traces back to a guy that lived in Social Circle, GA at the time. I remember calling him and finding out that he was a victim of identity theft, too.


Anyway, I guess I need to contact the credit agencies and send them all of the documentation that I have and dispute the ratings. That being done, my credit report will finally be something I won't be disgraced by. Suprisingly, my mortgage companies and auto financing companies gave me a great rating even after they've threatend to repo or foreclose on me in the past. They still rated me with A1 credit! That was a shock. Worse case scenario, if I'm not able to clear these errors, they will fall off of my report in less than a year anyway. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home