Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Monday, May 21, 2007

New Life in the Pond




The first residents of my pond community moved in yesterday. I bought 5 goldfish from Petsmart. These aren't fancy goldfish, or even koi. They are feeder goldfish that costs 29 cents each. My plan was to buy a few fish to make sure that the water was safe before spending a lot of money on nice fish. Since these goldfish's only purpose in life was to be fed to larger fish, I figured it wouldn't be a great loss if I found them belly up this morning. To my surprise, all of the fish survived and a few of them even surfaced when I went out to feed them tonight. If these continue to survive (and possibly thrive!), I'll go ahead and invest in some larger fish soon.




I received notice today that the tadpoles I won on EBay are enroute and should arrive tomorrow! I wonder what stage they will be in? The ad didn't say. I'm really excited about the tadpoles coming- it's so cool to watch them turn from fish to frog. Hmmm... I just thought about it-- what do tadpoles eat? I wonder if they'll eat goldfish flakes? I'd better do a little research on the net before they arrive.




3 Comments:

Blogger epgraves said...

Bri, hate to tell you this, but you know that the chances that the "Feeder will feed" are high don't you? Your tads may end up as a nice meal for the GF's.

7:39 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

Yeah, you're probably right. I was hoping that the tadpoles would be well on their way to becoming frogs, but when I received them today they looked more like sperm. They'll probably all be history in a couple of days. Bad timing on my part-- I should've held out and bought the fish later. But... the pond is about 300 gallons-- maybe a few of the little ones can hide from the goldfish and make it to maturity. Keep your fingers crossed!

6:43 PM

 
Blogger epgraves said...

Powderize the flakes for the tads. Look like sperm do they? When you dropped them in the pond you should have screamed out really loud...."MY BOYS CAN SWIM! MY BOYS CAN SWIM!!!" Or you can actually give your tads little "Sperm like names". like Spunky, Sploogie, Jizzy.......

7:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home