Daily thoughts by a guy that doesn't like to think deeply too often!

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Honey, I'm Home!

It's been a week since my last post, so I've got a lot of catching up to do, I guess! I was able to make arrangements for the damage from the fallen tree to be taken care of last Saturday. I didn't miss much of the vacation week-- just got a later start than normal. I was on the island by suppertime. The fence is still an eyesore, but it's functional for now, and the dogs are safe and secure in the backyard. I have a nice pile of mulch (the shredded oak tree) that I'll use in the front flower bed.

Anyway, back to the vacation-- I didn't get to sleep in at all-- and it was my choice! I purchased a 1 week membership at a nearby gym and set my alarm for 5am each morning. It was a small gym, but very upscale and a nice clientele. I worked out each morning with the local firemen, the policemen and the life guards, and was finished each day in time to meet Mom, Joel and Ashley at Java Joe's for our coffee hour and crossword puzzle race!




Due to the unusually high temperatures (it reached 100 degrees every day, and there was no breeze--not even on the beach), the tennis racquet stayed in the trunk of my car. Maybe next year!
Also, due to the unually high amount of jellyfish stings reported- going into the ocean was pretty much out of the question. I saw several people that had been stung pretty badly. I've been stung by jellyfish in the past, and it wasn't a big deal-- but these people were attacked by jellyfish-- tenticles wrapped around their arms or legs. I didn't want to chance it, so I spent most of my afternoons sitting by the pool, or shopping the outlet stores.

The new 2 bedroom/ 2.5 bath condo was incredible-- we had more space than we could use! We spent the past 26 years in a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath unit, so it was a real upgrade to have the extra bathrooms and closets and larger rooms this year. Angie and 2 of her friends rented our 1 bedroom unit this year and it worked out perfectly.

We ate well, too! I gained 7 pounds during the week! Seafood is my favorite, and I had it at least twice each day! On Monday we drove into Savannah and visited some friends that cooked a low-country boil dinner for us-- crab/mussels/oysters/crawfish/corn-on-the-cob/potatoes. She spread newspapers on the picnic table in the backyard and poured all of the food onto the papers and everyone dug in. Incredible!!!


It was a great week and I can't believe it's over already! I'm already looking forward to next year! Only 51 more weeks to go!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home